Tokyo Regional Immigration Bureau

The following are some readers' comments. You can also read the full article: Tokyo Regional Immigration Bureau.

Related reading

Immigration Information Center

The Japanese Ministry of Justice's Immigration Information Center is the best place to call for all immigration related issues. It's...

Reporting illegal immigrants

Many people try to use this website to report people who they believe are working or living in Japan illegally....

2 million foreigners in Japan

There are now nearly 2 million foreigners living in Japan. The Immigration Bureau released a report last week saying that...

Job and Visa resources

I have updated the resources section in this website and split them into two. The Immigration resources page will...

Japan’s population is shrinking

Japan's population is starting to decline. The population in both May and June this year was less than the same...

146 comments on “Tokyo Regional Immigration Bureau”

Comment pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »

  1. 7
    Bennett said (23 March 2006 at 1:32 pm)

    Nelum and Prasadhi, You should be able to apply for the dependent visa from Sri Lanka, but the procedures can be a bit complex. Ask your Japanese embassy.

    Sorry, sridhar tenumetcha, this is not an appropriate forum to make accusations of this kind.

  2. 8
    gordon said (10 April 2006 at 4:51 pm)

    FYI -your link (at the top of this page) to Tokyo Regional Immigration no longer
    You mention they have a useful telephone helpline -maybe you could post the number or an updated link?

  3. 9
    Japan: Immigration Information Center said (11 April 2006 at 7:22 am)

    […] The Japanese Ministry of Justice’s Immigration Information Center is the best place to call for all immigration related issues. It’s located in Tokyo inside the Tokyo Regional Immigration Bureau, but you can call them from anywhere in Japan (or, presumably, from outside Japan). The staff there speak a variety of foreign languages. […]

  4. 10
    Bennett said (11 April 2006 at 7:25 am)

    Thanks very much for the tip-off, Gordon — the Ministry of Justice changed their website around and forgot to tell me. 🙂 I have fixed the links and updated this page and the Immigration Information Center page.

  5. 11
    gul said (9 May 2006 at 2:37 pm)

    dear sir hi, konichiwa.
    some allegation against some people, who got the nippon visas from afghanistan on afghani passport, by agents through the big money , but they are not afghani people, they want to enter on narita and kansai airports. please check them, if you want some help, please give us your phone and fax nos for contacting. we can help with you, that is a stigma , please prevent them, we await for your soon reply best of luck (sayo nara)

  6. 12
    Isuru Lakmal said (30 May 2006 at 2:55 am)

    I am a srilankan who wish to arrange a pre college student visa.After I get my visa and came to japan how much duration want goes to apply for multiple or Longterm visa.

  7. 13
    gul said (2 July 2006 at 4:08 pm)

    dear sir konichiwa,
    we have already send you some allegation against some people, who are getting the nippon visas from afghanistan on afghani passport, but you have no reply us, why ? have you some issues , therefore, we expect to soon come to nippon in few days, we will meet to you, please send us to your post and in which terminal you will stand , and i come soon with complete information, can you co operation to us, it will be good for your country, best of luck Note:-realy, i assure to you i come soonly, please no disoblige to us,


  8. 14
    B said (4 July 2006 at 8:36 am)

    I am a US citizen who hopes to move to Japan for a year. I have a couple questions and would be greatful for any help.

    1: You mention that it is now possible to switch visa status without leaving Japan. Can you verify this? I inquired at the Japanese embassy in DC if I could go to Japan as a 90 day visitor and switch to a 1-year work visa without leaving Japan and they seemed to think it was impossible.
    2: Many Eikawa are looking for foreigners already in Japan with work visas. Who are these foreigners, and how did they achieve this status? There seems to be a paradoxical situation where one needs a work visa to apply, but in order to get a work visa, one needs an employer
    3. Overall, would you recommend going to Japan without a work visa or a job but with a place to live, with tourist status, and looking for an Eikawa or other organization there who might sponsor a work visa for a future hire?

    Thanks for your help

  9. 15
    Bennett said (5 July 2006 at 1:05 pm)

    Isuru, I believe your student visa normally applies for the length of your study only. After that you have to apply for a visa under some other category, e.g. a work visa or spouse visa.

  10. 16
    Bennett said (5 July 2006 at 1:45 pm)

    B, to answer your questions:
    1. When you enter Japan as a tourist, they will stamp your passport to show you have landing permission for a short-term stay, normally 90 days for US passport-holders. This is not a visa, but it allows you to stay in Japan as long as you don’t undertake paid work. If you find an employer willing to sponsor you, you can go through the form-filling and waiting process and get your work visa without leaving Japan. Despite what the Japanese embassy in DC said, this is exactly what I did in 2002; I don’t think the rules have changed since then. (I am Irish, not American, but I don’t think that makes any difference in this case.)
    2. Employers always prefer you to have a work visa, because it means they don’t have to go through the hassle of applying and waiting for a visa to be issued. Even though some employers may require a work visa, some do not. You need to find out which ones will help arrange and sponsor your work visa, preferably before you arrive in Japan as it can take some months.
    3. I definitely recommend trying, as long as you are prepared for the possibility of not getting work. Your situation is different from mine just because I was looking for work in the IT market, which is quite different from language teaching. I think you will have a better chance than I did of finding an employer before you go to Japan.

  11. 17
    anna said (27 July 2006 at 4:50 pm)

    how can someone already married and had a kid in that marriage, in another country, be married again, to a japanese this time and have kids again, be legal ????

  12. 18
    mitch said (28 July 2006 at 8:26 pm)

    Hi good after,
    am Korean citizen I been 5 times to go Japan when I go back Japan again they don’t let me go in because they say I been to much fly to Japan I fly Korea to Japan and Japan to Korea only…so when I can come back again? And I have family in Japan can I come back Japan? And how long takes

  13. 19 said (4 August 2006 at 7:48 pm)

    could you please provide me an information where i can report some illegal activities that committed by the foreing people entering in japan through forged documents like false passport or people using other names purportedly to gain employment in japan please make this a confidential till i gave a full details of people behind this illegal activities please provide me a website where i can send all the information to the immigration ministry of justice thank you my email address

  14. 20
    Peter Paul U. Alonsagay said (10 August 2006 at 8:55 pm)

    Hi Good day! Im a 17 yr old filipino , and a first year college student at the University of the Philippines, Diliman, Quezon City. Due to higher cost of living and expenses, I need help from you finding the address of my father Paul T. Alonsagay, who has a during mission visa and he is working as a driver of the Ambassador which i dont know the country. My father was once working as driver of Ecuadorian Ambassador, then, French Ambassador, Burkina Faso, and Egypt. But right now i dont know his whereabouts coz he didnt tell me his address in Tokyo and his employer for some reasons. Please help me and mail to me the home address and employer address of my father Paul Torres Alonsagay. Im looking forward for your reply. Thank you so much .

  15. 21
    waheedMashraqui said (17 August 2006 at 2:10 am)

    Maido domo!Watsi ha pakistan kokseki dei Tokubettsu zairyu shikaku nou sinsei o shitan desu ga!Demo interview nou toki kharada ga seishin teki ni waruku narimastta!dei nyukan nou seinsei nou kittakoto o henji shimasein deshta!sorei dei pakistan ni khaisareimastta!Emma pakistan dei khaitei kitei gou nen o tsugi mastta!
    nihon ni hitore musmei ga wakareitaa nihonjin nyubou tou sundeimasu!watasi ha nippon nou visa ga hoshi kara homesho ka gaimsho kara nani ga shoriee ga nai tou o visa ga oree nai desu!Watsi ha dosreiba iee desu ga>?Moo nippon ni ikku koto dekinai desu ka?Sumimasein ga watsi nou koto Shirabeitei kudasai.Watasi ha hesei 13 nen nou shi gettsu ni Tokubettsu zairyu shikaku hou sendai shi nou nyukokanree dei shinsei o shimastta!demo kharadaa ga sono toki shinkeisteu teki ni warui dattan desu dei !dei interview nou toki o henji ga dekimasein deshta!
    watsi hoo muree yaree kyuseisoukan o shimastaa!
    Emma moo juboon nou hitoree musmei nou koto mata shorai nou koto shimpai shitei masu!desu kara watasi ni Tokubettsu zoryukiku kyukaa o kudasai!
    chutu emma dei moo kharada ga waruiee desu!

  16. 22
    Paul Alongsagay said (30 September 2006 at 11:19 pm)


  17. 23
    gul said (17 October 2006 at 4:58 pm)

    dear sir,
    there are many people whose entering to japan on afghani passports but they are not afghani people, we have traced , please check them on kansai airport, they come to from qattar doha airline, please prevent them these are all epidemic, if you want some help, contact us , best of luck

  18. 24
    jay said (16 November 2006 at 1:04 pm)

    I am from Nepal.I ‘ve got all the documents from a university for stay in a lab as a Joint reseaercher from 1st week of December.But Embassy has asked me for Eligibility certificate.How can I get it ? Please write me about the procedures and requirements and where I ‘ve to contact for it ?

  19. 25
    HANIZE said (24 November 2006 at 6:55 pm)

    I am over stay in japan and married with long term resident visa girl .But her X husband children live with X huband .May I can apply for special permit to stay in japan?And can get visa?

  20. 26
    la said (26 December 2006 at 3:45 pm)

    dear sir,
    we have some information against some people, whose have got japanese multiple visas illegaly, they have appeared themselvse marriad, but they have no wivies in japan, they only allowing the monthly pament to them, some agents involve in these crimes in japan , for further help contact us, best of luck

Comment pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »

Post a comment