Work visa process

The following are some readers' comments. You can also read the full article: Work visa process.

Related reading

Visa Eligibility

Foreigners are not allowed to work in Japan unless they have an appropriate Japanese work visa. There are a few...

Dependent Visa

There has been some discussion in the Visa eligibility section about whether you are allowed to work if you have...

Sponsored visa

To get a work visa, you need to find a company willing to give you a job. You will also...

Tokyo Regional Immigration Bureau

If you're in Tokyo, you will be dealing with the Tokyo Regional Immigration Bureau office. This is place you go...

Teaching jobs

Many foreigners work as English conversation teachers while they're in Japan. For many people, the work is not too...

1,098 comments on “Work visa process”

Comment pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 1155 »

  1. 1
    Anonymous said (22 June 2004 at 5:13 pm)

    Hi, I have been here for a few months and i am working for a small but professional english school more or less fulltime. I am on a work holiday visa from Aus. I am pretty sure that to apply for a work visa i will have to leave the country. Do you know for sure? Also, how difficult is it to sponsor yourself?

  2. 2
    Bennett said (23 June 2004 at 1:57 am)

    In 2002, I was in Japan on a normal tourist visa exemption, and I did not have to leave Japan to get my work visa. Since you already have a visa, you might have to leave Japan to change to a different type. Of course, since you live in Japan, it should be farly easy to find out!

    I haven’t investigated self-sponsorship in Japan, but I have in Hong Kong, and it seems quite an involved process. Essentially, you have to set up a business and submit eveidence of funding, business plan, etc. to the government, who then decide whether to allow your application. The procedure may be easier, or at least different, in Japan.

  3. 3
    cleo said (17 January 2005 at 5:54 am)

    can i go to japan for 3 months period without any stamp from the japanese embassy? Meaning using only international passport

  4. 4
    Bennett said (17 January 2005 at 7:56 pm)

    Cleo: It depends on what passport you hold. Why not call the Japanese embassy in your country? Their information will be more definitive than mine. See the Working in Japan resources section for embassy details.

  5. 5
    kaye said (8 February 2005 at 3:59 pm)

    what are the qualifications to get a long-term resident visa?tnx!

  6. 6
    Sherryl said (9 February 2005 at 4:56 am)

    I am a filipino caregiver and I found an employer in japan.What are the documents I need to submitt to get a working visa?

  7. 7
    Cornelyn said (9 February 2005 at 5:07 am)

    I went in Japan last December as a tourist.And I am came home in the philippines last January.I am planing to come back again in Japan,my visa will expire on March 23,can I go back there by using my visa again?or should I apply another visa?

  8. 8
    Bennett said (13 February 2005 at 5:11 am)

    Every case is different, so it should go without saying that when you want the official position on visas, documentation and so on, you should contact an official body (e.g. your local Japanese embassy). See the Embassies section for more details.

  9. 9
    Bennett said (13 February 2005 at 5:13 am)

    Kaye: Ask your local Japanese embassy. I don’t even know exactly what a long-term resident visa is. Do you?

  10. 10
    Andrew said (20 February 2005 at 12:45 pm)

    If I applied for a working visa in Japan, about how long would it take assuming I not only had paperwork from the office but also a Japanese resident sponsoring me? My case is strange in that I’m too young to have a 4-year degree but I have the necessary qualifications for the job. I just don’t want to be stuck in Tokyo for months waiting with no source of income, and I don’t want to have to leave and then return. Also, where can I find a place in Tokyo that issues visas with an English-speaking staff? Thanks for your help 🙂

  11. 11
    Bennett said (21 February 2005 at 2:41 am)

    Andrew: When I applied for my visa, they said it would take about six weeks, and so it did. I don’t know if your circumstances will shorten or lengthen this time. As for English… the immigration office didn’t seem to have much in the way of English speakers, and they are the only people who issue visas as far as I know. Try getting a Japanese speaker (say, from your work) to go with you.

  12. 12
    MOHD.ROZMI said (23 March 2005 at 7:50 am)

    MY-EMAIL :

  13. 13
    Ali baba said (23 June 2005 at 4:57 pm)

    i applied visit visa to japan and just approved.But my intention is to work in Japan and please give me some idea how to find job in japan,i don,t have any digree or diploma my experince is just retail it easy to find job in japan?is it possiable to get working visa? And what is the chances to extend my visa,i have three months visit visa right now.i am realy disappointed because some of my friend said it is realy hard to find job in japan,and i thought may be they don,t know about the job because they are doing business in japan.Now iam thinking if hard to find job then i don,t want to spoil my money.please tel me what should i do i already confuse myself.I already did shoping buy many thing to vist japan but when i know hard to get job then i regret.I will be thankful to you if you answer my question.Thanks alot

  14. 14
    Bennett said (24 June 2005 at 10:52 am)

    Ali baba: If you are a foreigner, it is not easy to find a job in Japan.

    In order to hire you legally, an employer has to sponsor your work visa. This is inconvenient for them, so they will only do it if you have special skills that they need. For example, if you are a native English speaker, or have very good IT skills, or something like that. It doesn’t sound as if you are in this category. It is easier for an employer to hire a local Japanese person who speaks, reads and writes Japanese and is familiar with the local area and culture.

    Finding a job in another country is generally difficult. It’s especially hard in Japan because of the difficult language and strict immigration laws. Don’t just go there and expect to find something — it will be difficult! You should do more research before getting on the plane. Try to have some idea of where you want to live, what sort of work you want to do and where you will look. And no matter how well-prepared you are, you may still be disappointed.

    Finally, are you sure you want to live in Japan? Have you been there before? If you go there and hate it, then this will all be a lot of wasted effort.

  15. 15
    Dion said (12 August 2005 at 6:36 pm)

    Hi–Just want to know if there are age restrictions on teachers. Am 33 year old kiwi, but will be 35 by the time i get a TESOL graduate diploma?

  16. 16
    Bennett said (13 August 2005 at 12:04 am)

    Dion: There are generally no age restrictions for ordinary visas like the “Instructor” visa you’ll probably need as a teacher. You might as well check with potential employers to see what kind of visa they would sponsor you for.

  17. 17
    william said (26 August 2005 at 12:14 am)

    Hello, I appreciate your info.

    I am currently performing in Japan on a work visa from the USA. A friend has come to visit me for the time I am here.

    My friend is on tourist visa. I now am wondering if I can hire my friend with my production. The company I am working for has okayed this, and even processed a certificate of elgibility for him.

    How can my friend get a work visa without leaving Japan?

    We are in Hokkaido now.

    Thanks for your help!


  18. 18
    Bennett said (29 August 2005 at 10:30 pm)

    William, when I got my visa I just went to the Immigration Bureau and did it all there. After filling in the forms and so on, I went away; they sent me a postcard after a few weeks and I went back in to get my visa.

    I don’t think a certificate of eligibility was involved in my procedure; at least I didn’t get any documents that looked like a normal certificate of eligibility. Your best bet is to contact the Immigration Information Center and ask them what the possibilities are. Unfortunately the procedures are alwasy somewhat mysterious; even the HR person at my work didn’t have all the answers, and she had done the visa application for several other employees before me.

Comment pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 1155 »

Post a comment