Visa Eligibility

The following are some readers' comments. You can also read the full article: Visa Eligibility.

Related reading

Dependent Visa

There has been some discussion in the Visa eligibility section about whether you are allowed to work if you have...


Your first point of contact regarding Japanese visa eligibility is your local Japanese embassy. If you are already in Japan,...

Japan Rail Pass

The Japan Rail Pass can be a good deal for visitors who plan on doing a lot of sightseeing in...

Work visa process

When you enter Japan, you will probably be on a 90 day tourist visa exemption. Holders of certain passports (e.g....

Sponsored visa

To get a work visa, you need to find a company willing to give you a job. You will also...

361 comments on “Visa Eligibility”

Comment pages: « 14 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 1419 »

  1. 142
    Tiffany said (19 June 2007 at 1:18 am)

    Ok I’m not sure if anyone can help me but my boyfriend is in the military and got orders to Japan, I want to go with him but we are not ready to get married. Is there any type of visa I can get, I don’t know the language however I do have a job that is based out of japan, I was hoping to avoid a working visa though. Thanks for any information.

  2. 143
    Bennett said (19 June 2007 at 7:17 pm)

    Michael Choi: The normal rules is that you need to have a sponsor; plus a degree or ten years’ relevant experience. This does not automatically qualify you. The sponsor (employer) still has to show that they need to hire a foreigner rather than a local, and there is no guarantee how long the applicatin process can take. (As I mentioned somewhere, mine took about six weeks I think.) I don’t know what the cost is, but I suppose the fees might run into the thousands.

  3. 144
    Bennett said (19 June 2007 at 7:19 pm)

    Tiffany: Based on the information you supplied, your best chances would be either a working holiday visa (if your country has that arrangement with Japan) or to get your own working visa by getting your employer to sponsor you from their Japanese offices.

  4. 145
    Shami said (26 June 2007 at 8:04 pm)


    My case is quite similar to yours. My previous employer hasn’t given me the required documents–certificate of leave, tax certificate etc. Would like to know whether you received your renewed visa. Was there any hassle?

    any opinion from any member would be welcome.


  5. 146
    Waqas Ahmad said (29 June 2007 at 1:16 am)

    Dear sir
    I m Waqas from Pakistan .
    I m graduate in International Relation .
    I m very interested to go Japan.
    Is there any way for me to go Japan bcz i like it very much.
    Inform me by mail

  6. 147
    Anthony said (7 July 2007 at 3:58 am)

    According to my representative in japan they have told me that my COE was already aplied and they gave me this tracking number to prove that my CEO was aplied. For more info. i have found a company willing to hire me in japan and I am a graduate of Electrical Engineering with 10 years relative experience and i have my relative as my sponsor in japan. just want to know how long my CEO to be realease and could i check the status online?. thank you

  7. 148
    David morales said (10 August 2007 at 9:26 am)

    What are the legal way of becomeing a japanese citizen
    get a greencard

  8. 149
    david said (10 August 2007 at 9:42 am)

    apply for citizen

  9. 150
    umer said (14 August 2007 at 12:42 am)

    hy dear,
    my name is umer.i am graduate and working in uncle has given me sponsership to japn.very next month i will be there in japan.i want to work in plz advice me what to do?another thing which i wnt to ask that is it possible that my visit change can be change to employment.tell me the steps which i have to take.

    thanks friend,

  10. 151
    bk said (17 August 2007 at 11:53 pm)

    I am a first year student of university in Japan and I am a married .I call my wife in Jaqpan in the dependent visa of six months. So how can I apply for the visa…..

  11. 152
    Austin Gaijin said (27 August 2007 at 5:23 am)

    I have a question about a self-sponsored visa. I very much want to live in Japan to study and learn the language (better). I have a job here in the US (Software Architect) that would allow me to work remotely from pretty much anywhere I would choose. I understand that it would be trivial to come to Japan as an English instructor and get sponsorship, but my salary in the US is the equivalent of JPY 15.0M. Do you think it would be possible for me to self-sponsor given that I can show a source of income?

    Alternatively, what is the minimum number of hours that I could work as an English instructor and still be able to get a sponsorship? The lowest contract I have seen (in a brief search) was something like 26hrs/wk.


  12. 153
    Bennett said (27 August 2007 at 7:47 pm)

    Austin, unfortunately I don’t have much information on self-sponsorship. You might be able to find out about the requirements from the Immigration Information Centre or your Japanese embassy.

    As for the English instructor workload, 26 hours sounds about right. I haven’t really investigated but I doubt you’d find much less than that.

  13. 154
    Tim Moses said (5 September 2007 at 9:34 am)

    Thank you for the information on this site.
    I have wanted to spend some time in Japan for awhile now, possibly working in English education as a means to stay there for an extended time. My company just informed me that because of financial problems I’m going to be laid off for 6 months to a year. Seems like the perfect time to do this. As a 30-something man with only an associates degree in photo-journalism and barely 10 years experience in my field, how difficult (or impossible) would it be to obtain a work visa for one of the many jobs available to foreigners from the U.S. like English education? I really want to do this, but don’t know how big the obstacles are.
    Thanks again!

  14. 155
    joan kuramae said (19 September 2007 at 5:13 pm)

    iGood day! want to know how long it will take to obtain a certificate of eligibility.

  15. 156
    jamil said (1 October 2007 at 9:35 pm)

    can you pass me your contact through mail.i am also pakistany

  16. 157
    emay said (4 October 2007 at 4:18 pm)

    hi, this is emay from the philippines. presently working in a government agency. any japanese citizen here? that can help me by sponsoring documents like letter of guarantee, invitation letter and tax certificate for a tourist visa application coz i already have a prospect employer in japan but the problem is he should see me first in person before he will hire me.

    any good hearted person here is very much appreciated.

  17. 158
    Davinder singh said (17 October 2007 at 3:21 am)

    I am 43 years old i ned a job in japan like labour job,In house helper ete now i am in india

  18. 159
    Sahadev Shrestha said (30 October 2007 at 1:11 pm)

    hello Sir!

    Thank you for the information on this site.

    i am very much want to work in japan. so, if any of u sponsor me then i will be pleased to u. i am student and want to live and work in japan. so please please let me know about this. I am Nepali Citizen. Hope to hear from any kind person who trying to help me.

    Sahadev Shrestha

  19. 160
    omar san said (2 November 2007 at 7:14 pm)

    konichiwa…sumimasen…i’m omar from langkawi,Malaysia…i would like to go and work in japan but i have no special certificate here..just secondary school certificate..i work as a divemaster before and i really want to go to japan to work and collect money to help my family back in malaysia…so how a very average guy like me can go and work there..? i’m willing to work in for any labour work…i’m looking how to get a job that maybe japanese gonna feel difficult to do it such a construction servant, cleaner,or any risk and tough job in japan…can somebody tell me..?

  20. 161
    MIYA Chan said (4 November 2007 at 5:43 pm)

    I am 23yrs old,,,Me and my japanese boyfriend are planning to get married but we are worrying about his taxes..He filled to pay his taxes for about 4yrs….we are worry about the visa if he can give me visa and be with him in japan..What we should do????We are in 3yrs relationship…I am hoping that somebody can help me about this information..THANKS!!!!!!!GOD BLESS……

Comment pages: « 14 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 1419 »

Post a comment