Visa Eligibility

Foreigners are not allowed to work in Japan unless they have an appropriate Japanese work visa. There are a few ways to get one. Some of the more common ways to get the work visa are as follows.

Live and Work in Japan

  • Marry a Japanese citizen. If you can find that special someone, then he or she should be able to help you with all the paperwork for your work permit.
  • Get a working holiday visa. Depends on your age and country of citizenship. (E.g. New Zealanders under 30 can get these visas.) Contact your Japanese embassy for details.
  • Get an employer-sponsored visa. This is what I did. There’s more information on this website.

In general, if you have a dependent visa (for example, if you are married to a work visa holder), you are not allowed to work. After all, if you can work then you are not really dependent on the other person. However, it is possible for dependent visa holders to get a part-time work permit — see the Dependent Visa page on this website for more.

Related reading

Dependent Visa

There has been some discussion in the Visa eligibility section about whether you are allowed to work if you have...


Your first point of contact regarding Japanese visa eligibility is your local Japanese embassy. If you are already in Japan,...

Japan Rail Pass

The Japan Rail Pass can be a good deal for visitors who plan on doing a lot of sightseeing in...

Work visa process

When you enter Japan, you will probably be on a 90 day tourist visa exemption. Holders of certain passports (e.g....

Sponsored visa

To get a work visa, you need to find a company willing to give you a job. You will also...

334 comments on “Visa Eligibility”

Comment pages: « 17 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17]

  1. 315
    irshad said (5 December 2011 at 1:47 am)

    i’m working in malaysia since 1999 but still cnt be stand on my foot. it’s my wish to go japan but there’s no body who show me the best way,i’ve 5 years electrical and air/cond exp……..can i find job in japan?

  2. 316
    zainab said (2 January 2012 at 3:45 am)

    i really like japan and iwish if som day iwille be a jappanesse

  3. 317
    bosslexx said (17 February 2012 at 8:37 pm)

    I got married to a japanese national who’s younger than me, 2010 May, I received the Certificate of Eligibility August of the same year, 2010, I don’t know how my husband did the process to speed up the release of my COE, so I within the same year I was able to come here in Japan hassle-free, I am a Philippine national.

  4. 318
    flordeliz segami said (23 February 2012 at 4:23 pm)

    mam/sir, kasal po aq sa isang hapon pro hndi po kmi mgsyota…or imitation kekon pngtrabaho nya po aq nang pngtrbho pinagssweldohn nya aq pero kunti lng…kya nong ngkroon aq nang boyfren naicipn q nlng sumama sa bf nang ngksma n kme nang bf q biniyaan kmi nang dyos nang dlwng anak..prblema po nmin hndi pa nmin narerehistro yung mga bata dhil po ayw aq hiwalayan nang kaimitation kekon q…msydo n po aq naeestress sa mga nangyari sa amin..kung cnu po my alm 2ngkol sa prblema q plss give me advise ano po ba dpat nming gwin ngpa2byad po kc yung pnksalan q dti pro wla tlga kming pera pra ibyad sa knya…plss help…

  5. 319
    analene said (29 April 2012 at 1:08 pm)

    hello poh sir.. tanong lang poh ako, ano po ba kailangan na requirements galing sa company na kukuha sa akin para magwork doon as a caregiver. kc first time nya kukuha ng employee hndi niya alam ano mga requirements na kailangan na ibigay nya.. may requirements po ba para mamakuha nag certificate of Eligibility?please poh asnwer my question… madalian kc ang pagkuha sa akin..please pohhh… salamat!!!!

  6. 320
    murugaiyan said (5 May 2012 at 6:52 pm)

    i am come redy work

  7. 321
    magel v. said (6 May 2012 at 4:51 pm)

    hi im magel i am searching a husbond and willing to join me untel the rest of my life dis is my numba 950009478885295 plz call me …

  8. 322
    MJ said (6 July 2012 at 8:36 pm)

    good day po! kasal po ako sa Japanese?gusto ko po sanang tulungan ang sister ko na makapagwork dito sa Japan?may ibang way po ba para matulungan ko sya? thanks a lot po.

  9. 323
    jay-jay said (14 August 2012 at 12:17 am)

    helo po..gusto ko lang pong itanung kong pwede ko pong makuha ang ng-iisa kung kapatid sa Pilipinas kahit na asawa lang ako ng neikki jin at ngaun ay permanent visa na kami.pwede ko rin bang i aaply ang kapatid ko ng eligibilty kasabay ng mga anak ko..pwede po ba syang mabigyan ng visa as permanent residence not tourist.gusto ko pong dalahin sya d2 kasama ng mga anak ko dahil gusto ko narin pong kunin ang mga anak ko.pero kailangn nila ng magbabantay dahil kami ng asawa ko ay ngtratrabaho.1month palang ang bunso ko kaya ndi pa sya pwedeng iwan.maraming salamt po………sana matulungan ninyo ako

  10. 324
    Arjun Prasad Rijal said (1 December 2012 at 11:21 am)

    I’m from Nepal and I live in Japan with my family for almost 10 year(parmanent Recident)I work full time work (khaisine).I wold like to call some of my reletive in japan for work.for this all what is nessesary things and about how much bank deposit do I have make and some other must important paper.
    If you don’t mind could you give some informaition by mail.
    Looking forward to hear your kind advice thank you.

  11. [...] world by wearing the right color in clothes. Various studies conducted have shown that colors can have an effect on a gentleman’s [...]

  12. 326
    haris said (27 March 2013 at 6:35 pm)

    hi , i am from nepal and now working in india for five work depart is hospitality and now i want work in japan to get more is the visa prcces and job in japan for nepali people..thank you !

  13. 327
    narendra b said (28 August 2013 at 8:21 pm)

    I am nepali citizen of 24 years from kanchanpur nepal. I want to go japan in work visa what are possiblities that i can enter japan and how?

  14. 328
    Jikka said (4 September 2013 at 10:36 pm)

    Hi sir/madame, ask ko lng po if possible ako makuha ng mom ko papuntang japan nagwowork po xa dun as a room attendant s isang hotel and magccmula plang po xa mgbayad ng tax nya. 3mos2x ang pinili nya payment para mabayarn kagad un buong isang taon n di nbayarn ng second father ko na japanese. Pero d p po ako inampon nun second father ko. Married npo cla ng mom ko sa japan kaya japanese citizen n din un mom ko. Possible po b? Kse balak n po magaapply ng eligibilty ng mom ko. Thanks po!

  15. 329
    jun said (29 September 2013 at 9:55 am)

    relative visa ako meron at father ako ng may permanent visa holder pwede b nya ako ma sponsor ng dependent visa . thanks po

  16. 330
    Bosco said (31 March 2014 at 6:13 pm)

    I want to go to Japan on working visa. How can get a sponsor?

  17. 331
    Marie said (1 June 2014 at 11:23 am)

    Hello, Have a nice day po..may I ask ko lang po sana kung may pag asa po ba yung brother ko na makapunta dito sa japan para mg trbaho,Ang problema po kasi wla po akong alam na pwede nyang mapasukan na trbaho dito s japan.Married po ako s Japanese for almost 9 years n po and permanent n po ako dito.Gustong gusto ko po tulungan ang brother ko na maka pag trabaho dito ano po ba ang dapat kung gawin sana po matulungan nyo po ako..

  18. 332
    Saddam said (11 June 2014 at 7:20 pm)

    hi, I am Bangladeshi, I wish to go Japan
    Japan is my Dream Country, Please anyone
    Help me. +8801722971138 is my mobile number.

  19. 333
    vishnu k das said (20 June 2014 at 2:07 pm)

    i will marride with my japanese girl frend in india , how i can got visa what documents need for me please tell me.

  20. 334
    annchan said (13 February 2015 at 12:02 pm)

    kakakasal ko lang poh sa isang hapon paano po bah mag kuha ng mabilis na visa sa manila ? ano dapat requirements sa manila sa cagayan lang poh kami kinasal

Comment pages: « 17 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17]

Post a comment