Sponsored visa

The following are some readers' comments. You can also read the full article: Sponsored visa.

Related reading

Visa Eligibility

Foreigners are not allowed to work in Japan unless they have an appropriate Japanese work visa. There are a few...

Work visa process

When you enter Japan, you will probably be on a 90 day tourist visa exemption. Holders of certain passports (e.g....

Dependent Visa

There has been some discussion in the Visa eligibility section about whether you are allowed to work if you have...

Ministry of Foreign Affairs

The Visa section on the Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs website has all the official information about Japanese immigration, visa...

Bank account in Tokyo

I wanted to open a bank account when I first moved to Tokyo. It turned out to be quite difficult:...

306 comments on “Sponsored visa”

Comment pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 1116 »

  1. 7
    dion said (8 April 2004 at 10:00 am)

    watashi wa nihon de shigoto shitai to omotteimasu.demo sponsor ga nai to muzukashii desu.watashi ha 2 nen mae nihon kara kaette kimashita.nihon ni 3 nen kan sundeimashita(1999-2002).keshuu shini nihon ni ikimashita.ima watashi ha nihon no kuni ga natsukashii amari,nihon de shigoto shitai to omotteimasu.moshi sponsor ni naru kaisha ga attara, watashi wo nihon de hatarakasete itadakitai to omotteimasu.
    watashi ha kitto ganbarimasu.
    mail address: dionxz@yahoo.com matawa idno_99@hotmail.com
    yoroshiku onegai itashimasu.

  2. 8
    Bennett said (5 December 2004 at 3:46 pm)

    This page offers some information about obtaining Japanese working visas. If you are looking for an employer who will sponsor you, you should probably not post requests here. Posting in romanized broken Japanese will also not win you any favours.

  3. 9
    matt said (22 December 2004 at 11:42 am)

    I currently have a 3 year visa and it runs out in 20 days. I am still waiting for the paperwork from my employer. If the process finishes after my visa expires, can I continue to work or will I run into some problems?


  4. 10
    Bennett said (22 December 2004 at 10:13 pm)

    Matt: Strictly speaking, you will get into trouble if you work after the visa runs out. Of course, you will only get into trouble if anybody finds out, and in this case your employer will probably get into as much trouble as you. If there’s a gap during which you have no valid work visa, the immmigration department may decide to contact your employer and ask searching questions. Be careful.

    Really, it’s the employer’s problem as much as yours, and they should have more information available to them. Hopefully they can figure out some way around it, such as you taking some “unpaid leave” during the gap…

  5. 11
    matt said (26 December 2004 at 4:25 am)

    Thanks for the feedback. One more question though. What if my visa is in process at immigration.. can I still work or do I have to stop working and wait for it to finish.

    Thanks again,


  6. 12
    Bennett said (26 December 2004 at 5:50 pm)

    Matt: You’re only allowed to work if you actually have the stamp in your passport with the right dates – even if your visa application is being processed you’re still not allowed to work. (After all, in theory the visa application could be declined!)

    Many people in your situation would just keep working anyway and hope they don’t get caught. Your employer should be able to work around it, perhaps by granting you “unpaid leave” for the period during which you have no work visa. In theory, it’s their fault anyway for not re-applying early enough, and they face penalties if they employ you after your visa runs out.

  7. 13
    matt said (2 January 2005 at 6:09 am)

    If my renewal application visa is declided but I have a part-time job do I have to leave japan? Can I get a 6 month working visa? what are my options?



  8. 14
    Bennett said (5 January 2005 at 4:52 am)

    Matt: It’s pretty simple: if you don’t have a stamp in your passport that says you can stay in Japan, then you can’t stay in Japan, let alone work. As I say, unless you speak Japanese, your employer is probably your best bet to investigate for you. Good luck!

  9. 15
    matt said (18 January 2005 at 12:08 am)

    I handed in my application and they stanped my passport. I got the post card back saying that I have to to to immigration by feb 14th 2005. The first paragraph says “you are requested to come to the office until Feb 14th 2005 with this post card and the following items nessessary for your final action on your application”. at the bottom it gave me this list…
    1.passport or document acceptable in liew of passport
    2.revenue stanp change or extention:4,000 yen
    permenent residence:8,000 yen
    re-entry single:3,000 yen. multiple:6,000 yen

    do I have to bring any of these to the office. I don’t have permenent residence because I’ve been here only 3 years. I not leaving the country so I don’t need the re-entry permit. I don’t know what a revenue stamp change or extention is or where I can get it??

    I don’t want to waste my time going to the office and come out emply handed. what should I do?

    thank you,


  10. 16
    Bennett said (18 January 2005 at 4:02 am)

    Matt: They mean: if you applied for a revenue stanp change or extension, it will cost 4,000 yen. If you applied for permanent residence, it will cost 8,000 yen; for a single re-entry visa, 3,000 yen; for a multiple re-entry visa, 6,000 yen. (I presume you applied for a multiple re-entry visa.) Just take your passport and some money. As I remember, they give you a bill, you go outside to a konbini to pay the bill, then you go back in, show them the receipt and get your passport with visa. Have fun!

  11. 17
    Andrew said (23 April 2005 at 1:49 am)

    Hi there. I am 24 years old and I live in Japan, and honestly I would like to stay longer and really perfect my Japanese. My educators visa is good for another year, but I want to find a different job. So I have begun looking for companies that might be willing to hire me and sponsor a visa for me. I realize that once I find a place willing to sponsor me, it is fairly easy to get a new visa, but I am curious, where do you get the documents nesessary for your sponsoring company to fill out? And, what do I need to do (as far as my passport) once that part is finished? In the US I would send my passport to the Japanese Embassy, but I am not sure where I would send/take it here. Any advise would be most appreciated. Thank you very much.

  12. 18
    Bennett said (28 April 2005 at 9:49 am)

    Andrew: You get the forms from your local Immigration Bureau. You complete and submit the documentation to them, and they (eventually) issue you with a form. You leave Japan and take the form to a Japanese embassy outside Japan, and they will issue a stamp in your passport. Finally, when you arrive in Japan, you show them the stamp and they issue your visa.

    Nowadays, in many cases you can actually do this without having to leave Japan — you get it all done at the Immigration Bureau. Check with them first.

  13. 19
    Rob said (24 May 2005 at 3:40 pm)

    I have a question for someone. I have a working visa which runs out in July. I quit the company (Eikaiwa) which sponsored me for that visa long ago, and now I am working for another school which wants to sponsor me for a new visa. However, this school doesn’t have a “tohkibo tohon” (company registration). It is registered though as a “kojin jigyo” (individual person’s company). So, is it possible for a kojin jigyo to sponsor an employee for a working visa? They need me to work here as much as I need them to sponsor me.

  14. 20
    Bennett said (6 June 2005 at 10:48 pm)

    Rob: I believe it is possible for an individual to sponsor a visa application — this would include a kojin jigyo. I don’t think the process is that different; essentially it’s just a different set of forms to fill out. Your employer needs to contact the immigration department.

  15. 21
    Russ said (11 July 2005 at 4:31 pm)

    Hello I was seeking some advice on attaining a working – visa
    I am a British subject and have been offered work in a hotel however I am currently in Seoul ( south korea ) and want to work in Japan If my prospective employer sponsers me will I have to return to the UK to make the necessary
    applications or can I do it from seoul to save time incuring lots of expenses…
    By the way I dont have a degree ?
    I wondered if this was a significant factor or not
    and the employers contarct states six months minimum…..
    if you could respond directly to my email email address It would be greatly appreciated

    Thank you

  16. 22
    Bennett said (15 July 2005 at 11:42 am)

    Russ: You shouldn’t need to go to the UK to make your applications; just do it through the Japanese embassy in Seoul. As for your lack of a degree — not having a degree isn’t necessarily bad, just as a degree is not an automatic visa. If you are particularly qualified for the job then a degree is not necessary, but it does help if relevant to the job. Your sponsor will probably have to deal with the immigration department, and they should be able to sort out what you will need.

  17. 23
    mArty said (31 August 2005 at 7:36 pm)

    Just wondering if anyone can advise me of how difficult it might be to find apprenticeships or internships with Japanese landscape/gardening companies? My wife is teaching on the JET programme in the Kyoto area and I am planning on joining her on a dependent visa in a couple of months. Am I correct in assuming from the info on this site that I am only be able to apply for part-time work permit through my dependent visa? What is the situation with training/apprenticeship positions? Or is there some other visa/permit I should be looking at? I have about 10 years experience in this field accompanied by a 2 year diploma/certificate in Landscape Horticulture and am partway through a BA, will this help my prospects of getting work? Any commenst or suggestions would be much appreciated! 🙂


  18. 24
    Bennett said (3 September 2005 at 11:21 am)

    Marty, if you are fluent in Japanese you may stand a chance, though employers might not be interested in training a foreigner who is only in Japan for a short time. If you don’t speak Japanese then you’ll have a tougher time convincing somebody to hire you unless you have contacts in the industry.

    Sorry I can’t offer much help, but I don’t know about the landscaping scene in Japan.

  19. 25
    mArty said (5 September 2005 at 6:29 am)

    Bennett, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I am not fluent in Japanese at all, heh, but in saying that I have read quite a number of stories about people who have had a reasonable amount of success without speaking the language terribly well! Fortunately I’m going to be there for a while (3 years!), so it will be possible to pick up the language through private lessons and/or studying at home.
    I have also had the good luck of being invited to several private gardens before I’ve even arrived! hehe, I think that it shouldn’t be too hard to find some work in this field..:) Again, thanks Bennett, this is an extremely useful resource!

  20. 26
    Bennett said (5 September 2005 at 10:58 pm)

    I’ve always said that the best way in to a job in Japan is to have contacts in your industry there already. mArty, it looks as if you’ve got a head start there, so that’s great. Good luck!

Comment pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 1116 »

Post a comment