Comment pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 1112 »

Andrew said (23 April 2005 at 1:49 am)

Hi there. I am 24 years old and I live in Japan, and honestly I would like to stay longer and really perfect my Japanese. My educators visa is good for another year, but I want to find a different job. So I have begun looking for companies that might be willing to hire me and sponsor a visa for me. I realize that once I find a place willing to sponsor me, it is fairly easy to get a new visa, but I am curious, where do you get the documents nesessary for your sponsoring company to fill out? And, what do I need to do (as far as my passport) once that part is finished? In the US I would send my passport to the Japanese Embassy, but I am not sure where I would send/take it here. Any advise would be most appreciated. Thank you very much.

Bennett said (28 April 2005 at 9:49 am)

Andrew: You get the forms from your local Immigration Bureau. You complete and submit the documentation to them, and they (eventually) issue you with a form. You leave Japan and take the form to a Japanese embassy outside Japan, and they will issue a stamp in your passport. Finally, when you arrive in Japan, you show them the stamp and they issue your visa.

Nowadays, in many cases you can actually do this without having to leave Japan — you get it all done at the Immigration Bureau. Check with them first.

Rob said (24 May 2005 at 3:40 pm)

I have a question for someone. I have a working visa which runs out in July. I quit the company (Eikaiwa) which sponsored me for that visa long ago, and now I am working for another school which wants to sponsor me for a new visa. However, this school doesn’t have a “tohkibo tohon” (company registration). It is registered though as a “kojin jigyo” (individual person’s company). So, is it possible for a kojin jigyo to sponsor an employee for a working visa? They need me to work here as much as I need them to sponsor me.

Bennett said (6 June 2005 at 10:48 pm)

Rob: I believe it is possible for an individual to sponsor a visa application — this would include a kojin jigyo. I don’t think the process is that different; essentially it’s just a different set of forms to fill out. Your employer needs to contact the immigration department.

Russ said (11 July 2005 at 4:31 pm)

Hello I was seeking some advice on attaining a working – visa
    I am a British subject and have been offered work in a hotel however I am currently in Seoul ( south korea ) and want to work in Japan If my prospective employer sponsers me will I have to return to the UK to make the necessary
    applications or can I do it from seoul to save time incuring lots of expenses…
    By the way I dont have a degree ?
    I wondered if this was a significant factor or not
    and the employers contarct states six months minimum…..
    if you could respond directly to my email email address It would be greatly appreciated

Bennett said (15 July 2005 at 11:42 am)

Russ: You shouldn’t need to go to the UK to make your applications; just do it through the Japanese embassy in Seoul. As for your lack of a degree — not having a degree isn’t necessarily bad, just as a degree is not an automatic visa. If you are particularly qualified for the job then a degree is not necessary, but it does help if relevant to the job. Your sponsor will probably have to deal with the immigration department, and they should be able to sort out what you will need.

mArty said (31 August 2005 at 7:36 pm)

Just wondering if anyone can advise me of how difficult it might be to find apprenticeships or internships with Japanese landscape/gardening companies? My wife is teaching on the JET programme in the Kyoto area and I am planning on joining her on a dependent visa in a couple of months. Am I correct in assuming from the info on this site that I am only be able to apply for part-time work permit through my dependent visa? What is the situation with training/apprenticeship positions? Or is there some other visa/permit I should be looking at? I have about 10 years experience in this field accompanied by a 2 year diploma/certificate in Landscape Horticulture and am partway through a BA, will this help my prospects of getting work? Any commenst or suggestions would be much appreciated! :)

chEERs!

Bennett said (3 September 2005 at 11:21 am)

Marty, if you are fluent in Japanese you may stand a chance, though employers might not be interested in training a foreigner who is only in Japan for a short time. If you don’t speak Japanese then you’ll have a tougher time convincing somebody to hire you unless you have contacts in the industry.

Sorry I can’t offer much help, but I don’t know about the landscaping scene in Japan.

mArty said (5 September 2005 at 6:29 am)

Bennett, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I am not fluent in Japanese at all, heh, but in saying that I have read quite a number of stories about people who have had a reasonable amount of success without speaking the language terribly well! Fortunately I’m going to be there for a while (3 years!), so it will be possible to pick up the language through private lessons and/or studying at home.
    I have also had the good luck of being invited to several private gardens before I’ve even arrived! hehe, I think that it shouldn’t be too hard to find some work in this field..:) Again, thanks Bennett, this is an extremely useful resource!

Bennett said (5 September 2005 at 10:58 pm)

I’ve always said that the best way in to a job in Japan is to have contacts in your industry there already. mArty, it looks as if you’ve got a head start there, so that’s great. Good luck!

Gie said (24 September 2005 at 9:26 pm)

there’s an owner of a nursing home or elderly institution from Japan that is willing to hire me directly as a caregiver, what are the steps to be done by him and me to get the necessary work visa.

Bennett said (25 September 2005 at 11:38 pm)

Gie, your employer will need to fill out forms containing your details, including qualifications, identification documents and so on. Exactly what is required depends on the Immigration Department, so your employer should contact them in the first instance.

Gie said (26 September 2005 at 3:53 pm)

I gave the emploer xeroxed copies of my certificates in caregiving. He just don’t know the procedures. Thanks for your advice. I’ll ask for your advice again.

mina said (27 September 2005 at 11:19 am)

I am on a dependent visa with permission to work upto 28 hours per week. If my company sponsors me for a work visa, should I accept it? My salary would be same in both cases.

What I want to know is what are the tax implications if I change from dependent visa to work visa?
    Since the money paid to me would be nearly same in both cases, would a work visa mean that I would have lower salary because of additional taxes like resident tax etc.,

Thanks for any input.

Bennett said (27 September 2005 at 10:21 pm)

Mina, that’s an interesting question. But I don’t see that it would make any difference. If you work, you pay taxes — I didn’t think your status of residence would affect what taxes you pay. After all, even as a dependent, you are still a resident.

Of course, if you are worried about this then you should seek professional financial advice. But I didn’t think dependents had any special tax status.

Earl said (30 September 2005 at 12:36 am)

I have an Engineering VISA valid for 3 more years to work and live in Japan. I plan to leave my current employer and I have already found a prospective employer. Will I run into any VISA-related complications by moving to the new engineering firm. My fear is that I may lose the new job opportunity if the transfer of VISA sponsorship proves to be too daunting a task for my new employer.

Thanks for providing your insight. This website is great.

Thanks,

Bernard

Bennett said (25 October 2005 at 8:31 pm)

Earl (or is it Bernard?), if the new employer already has sponsored some foreigners then it shouldn’t be too hard for them. You should ask them what they would normally do in this situation and take it from there — the responsibility is as much theirs as yours to do the correct thing. Having said this, I know of some people who simply switch employers and don’t bother to update the visa.

Marija said (27 October 2005 at 7:21 am)

If a company sponsors you does that mean that they come up with the money you need in your account in order to go to Japan? I live in Canada, technically I need $2,500 in my bank account, does this change with a sponsorship? Thanks!

Bennett said (27 October 2005 at 10:42 am)

Marija, I have never heard of any minimum bank account requirements to go to Japan. I arrived in Japan as a tourist, and then after about 3 months I got sponsored by an employer and obtained my work visa. At no point did anybody ask how much money I had. (I was using an Irish passport; I don’t suppose Canadians are treated much differently.)

The only requirement was that I had to have a ticket to leave Japan before my tourist visa exemption expired. If you try to arrive in Japan on a one-way ticket then maybe there are additional requirements. (This is probably true for most countries, not just Japan.)

jon said (22 November 2005 at 8:13 am)

i am 25 years old. i am half japanese half irish, but when i became 22 i renounced to my japanese nationality and now i have irish nationality. my girlfriend is here right at the moment and she is japanese. i want to go to live in japan with her now but i dont have any university degree. i am fluent in spanish and english. i would like to learn work and study in japan. i want to know what are my possibilities right now? could i get my japanese nationality back?
    sorry to say but at this moment i am quite desparate.

Comment pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 1112 »