Sponsored visa

The following are some readers' comments. You can also read the full article: Sponsored visa.

Related reading

Visa Eligibility

Foreigners are not allowed to work in Japan unless they have an appropriate Japanese work visa. There are a few...

Work visa process

When you enter Japan, you will probably be on a 90 day tourist visa exemption. Holders of certain passports (e.g....

Dependent Visa

There has been some discussion in the Visa eligibility section about whether you are allowed to work if you have...

Ministry of Foreign Affairs

The Visa section on the Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs website has all the official information about Japanese immigration, visa...

Bank account in Tokyo

I wanted to open a bank account when I first moved to Tokyo. It turned out to be quite difficult:...

289 comments on “Sponsored visa”

Comment pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 1115 »

  1. 1
    Soo said (9 September 2003 at 10:13 pm)

    i’d like to work in japan but i do not have a BA or BS college degree is it possible to get a working visa in japan without a college degree?thanx

  2. 2
    Bennett said (9 September 2003 at 10:22 pm)

    Soo: It’s possible to get a visa without a degree, but it’s easier if you have one. To get a working visa, your sponsor needs to demonstrate that you have qualifications that can’t be fulfilled by a local person. Every little helps, e.g. native fluency in a foreign language, a good degree, or special professional skills. The more you have, the easier it will be to get a visa (and a job). You should contact potential employers and ask them what kinds of qualification you’ll need.

  3. 3
    Jessop said (14 January 2004 at 11:01 pm)

    So, if I have a 4 year degree, can I apply for a Visa here in the US before I go over and get a job?

  4. 4
    Bennett said (23 January 2004 at 1:04 am)

    Jessop: Generally, you have to have a job organised before you’ll get a work visa. The standard procudure for this would be to successfully apply for a job in Japan, and then your Japanese employer applies for the visa on your behalf (they act as your sponsor). When the visa comes through, they send you some documentation and then you can enter Japan with your visa and start work.

  5. 5
    Peter said (18 February 2004 at 10:59 pm)

    Interested in information about work visas for part time jobs. I am currently in the states, but have a 1 year extension of a student visa in Japan (graduated chiba dai grad school this past march)
    I have the possible opportunity to work as an assistant professor at a university there beginning in April…..

  6. 6
    Bennett said (19 February 2004 at 11:35 am)

    Peter: The university should be able to help get you a visa. There is a specific “Professor” class of work visa for this.

  7. 7
    dion said (8 April 2004 at 10:00 am)

    watashi wa nihon de shigoto shitai to omotteimasu.demo sponsor ga nai to muzukashii desu.watashi ha 2 nen mae nihon kara kaette kimashita.nihon ni 3 nen kan sundeimashita(1999-2002).keshuu shini nihon ni ikimashita.ima watashi ha nihon no kuni ga natsukashii amari,nihon de shigoto shitai to omotteimasu.moshi sponsor ni naru kaisha ga attara, watashi wo nihon de hatarakasete itadakitai to omotteimasu.
    watashi ha kitto ganbarimasu.
    mail address: dionxz@yahoo.com matawa idno_99@hotmail.com
    yoroshiku onegai itashimasu.

  8. 8
    Bennett said (5 December 2004 at 3:46 pm)

    This page offers some information about obtaining Japanese working visas. If you are looking for an employer who will sponsor you, you should probably not post requests here. Posting in romanized broken Japanese will also not win you any favours.

  9. 9
    matt said (22 December 2004 at 11:42 am)

    I currently have a 3 year visa and it runs out in 20 days. I am still waiting for the paperwork from my employer. If the process finishes after my visa expires, can I continue to work or will I run into some problems?


Comment pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 1115 »

Post a comment