Dependent Visa

There has been some discussion in the Visa eligibility section about whether you are allowed to work if you have a dependent visa. The answer is that you can, but only if you apply for permission and get a work permit.

Live and Work in Japan

It’s a bit confusing, because the Ministry of Foreign Affaris website (under Types and Categories of Visa) says that you may not work on a dependent visa.

Under the “Statuses of residence for engaging in specified activities in Japan”, there are three categories:
(a) Statuses of residence permitting work
(b) Statuses of residence not permitting work
(c) Whether work is permitted or not depends on the contents of individual permits

Dependent visa is listed in the category of “(b) Statuses of residence not permitting work”. This seems pretty clear-cut — you can’t work if you are a dependent. The activities you may carry out are “Daily living activities on the part of the spouse or unmarried minor child of those who stay in Japan with a status of residence mentioned in Table (a) (excluding Diplomat and Official) or with a Cultural Activities or College Student status of residence.”

However, a few people have commented (special thanks to Bryet and Mark) that it is possible to get a work permit, which allows you to work with restrictions (e.g. the type of job or the hours you can work). You should apply to the immigration department if you need more information on this.

Related reading

Visa Eligibility

Foreigners are not allowed to work in Japan unless they have an appropriate Japanese work visa. There are a few...

Work visa process

When you enter Japan, you will probably be on a 90 day tourist visa exemption. Holders of certain passports (e.g....

Sponsored visa

To get a work visa, you need to find a company willing to give you a job. You will also...

Ministry of Foreign Affairs

The Visa section on the Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs website has all the official information about Japanese immigration, visa...

Bank account in Tokyo

I wanted to open a bank account when I first moved to Tokyo. It turned out to be quite difficult:...

296 comments on “Dependent Visa”

Comment pages: « 15 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15]

  1. 277
    rajkumair said (16 May 2015 at 2:28 am)

    Dear sir/madam
    i ma rajkiumari .i have been study in japan ,i would like to bring my husband but how could you give subjugation
    thank you

  2. 278
    Anil said (23 June 2015 at 5:47 pm)

    Hello , dear sir medam,
    My name is anil.I am from Nepal. .my wife is in Japan from 13 month in ibariaki..studing in gaaku ..she wants .me there with her. But At this moment I am working in United Arab Emirates .can possible if she apply for dipentened visa .may I went direct from dubai.? Or I have to go Nepal? ? And how can apply please inform

  3. 279
    Parashmani Rai said (28 June 2015 at 12:43 am)

    Dear sir/madam
    It’s me Parashmani Rai.I am from Nepal.My wife is in Japan,Tokyo,Kokubunji from 2 month for studying.She want me there with her in Japan so how can i apply for dependent visa and what will be the process required for it.I am unknown for it so please kindly inform me… Thank u…

  4. 280
    water ionizer said (4 September 2015 at 5:59 pm)

    It’s perfect time to make some plans for the longer term and it is time to be happy.

  5. 281
    wholesale jerseys said (5 September 2015 at 12:04 pm)

    cheap jerseys

  6. 282
    nitish gaire said (19 September 2015 at 11:12 pm)

    I am from nepal n my parents are currently living on tokyo japan and me too has got dependent visa and wanted to have my further study there at tokyo ……as per my field in english medium.Can i get some ideas about the prcedures that i may follow to get it\

  7. 283
    Narayan Khadka said (21 September 2015 at 8:09 pm)

    Dear Sir /Madam
    I m in nepal and my wife is in JAPAN with her dependent parents and she is there from 3 years.Is it possible me to get Visa through her visa .

  8. 284
    janu said (1 October 2015 at 3:39 pm)

    Hi all,
    Actually I was worrying about dependent visa.i am janani from hubby is also a indian who is working as a system engineer (3 year )in japan ibaraki.we got married on June 29 2015. Then he applied for dependent visa on august 14 2015. We nearly reached 45 days but we didnt receive any information from the tokyo immigration office. We both are newly married couple and i missing him a lot…i feel lonely ..plz can any one tell me how long it takes time to get dependent visa…plz reply many forum telling that it takes 2-8 weeks but still no information..plz help us

  9. 285
    Anit Gurung said (26 October 2015 at 4:20 pm)

    Dear Sir/Madam or Sensai
    I am Anit Gurung. My wife is in japan since 6 month . We dont no how to try in depending visa…. My Wife applied for the student visa, She is hard working n honest person …. We dont know how to try in depending visa …. we are married, i wanna buildup my carrier…. I miss her everytime, please give the information as soon as possible we are waiting …. Every Day is painful for us … Both of us missing each other …. I had passed +2 leave. I also passed Japanese NAT exam N5 Level ….. I am also hard working and honest in everything ……. And Right now she is in tokyo city, Her study is good and Her aim is studying at University of japan, please contact on this Email ID and my number 9843044008 ……..How to try in depending visa in tokyo city please sensai help us, How much money it takes we can pay for it. and how is the process for the depending visa …….. please
    WE are Waiting For it …..
    Thank You

  10. 286
    ashan said (15 December 2015 at 5:57 pm) ashan from sri and my girl friend apply to student visa to japan.but im rejected.its reason is im borning my father’s job 2005 he start father two jobs have doing thath girl is now apply twice student visa.again im reject that reason.if my girl friend comes to sri lanka and marry me she can get me in depend visa?its not problem my rejectet for student visa?plz help me.thanks

  11. 287
    anita shah said (29 December 2015 at 2:40 am)

    Dear sir/madam
    I am anita from Nepal.My husband is in Japan from 25month at tokyo as a student .And i am here in Nepal .He would like me to be there with him.Is it possible? If yes what will be the process for dependent visa . So please kindly inform me .Thanks

  12. 288
    Mohamed ali said (8 January 2016 at 6:38 pm)

    Madam my name is Ali I form Srilanka naw I m in Japan I have Refugee visa I want Bering my waif and San pls Help me what kaind document need

  13. 289
    Srizana Thapa said (21 January 2016 at 5:20 pm)

    Respected mam,
    My husband is residing in Okinawa,Japan as student since 1 year and 6 months.Although he was married but also his pdf was made as single.Now I want to apply for dependent visa from Nepal, but it seems quite difficult.I also want to know about the pocessing time and charge.Please suggest me the solution.

  14. 290
    Milan said (26 January 2016 at 1:22 pm)

    Respected mam/sir.
    My name is Milan from Nepal. Almost 3 year I live in Tokyo. And my girlfriend for 3 years. I want to get a dependent visa for me in my girlfriend visa.

  15. 291
    Roshani said (29 January 2016 at 3:23 pm)

    Dear Sir,Madam
    I am Roshani Oli from Nepal.My husband is in Japan at Tokya From 19 month as a student visa.I want to know about dependent visa process of Japan.So, Please suggest to me. Thanky You.

  16. 292
    Sujan said (29 February 2016 at 12:05 pm)

    My parents are in Japan and Can I study there from class 11 on a dependent visa plz mail me or notify thank you

  17. 293
    sujan said (8 March 2016 at 9:43 pm)

    hello i am sujan i have been studying nepal. i have Japanese visa(dependent) from 2012 and Japanese immigration got me visa for 1 year on last year. they reduced my visa from 3 year and i got only one year visa …. i would request you to suggest me are they reducing my visa 3 months from one year..?? i go to japan for only 2/3 months while i have to renew my visa…? and my parents have been living there…

  18. 294
    Milan said (5 May 2016 at 10:46 pm)

    Hello i am in japan tokyo . I live kamishakuji japan tokyo . My father work in tokyo . I am in dependent visa and my wife in nepal . How to come her japan. In dependent visa can apply him wife or not . Plz ans me thank you ..

  19. 295
    Alan said (21 May 2016 at 5:41 am)

    Dear Sir,
    My wife has been studying in Japan since 2 years now. She just completed her language school and joined university.
    I would like to be with her. Can i apply for a dependent visa.

  20. 296
    Dhakal Kedar Nath said (27 May 2016 at 3:41 pm)

    Dear Sir/Madam,
    I am Dhakal Kedar Nath. I am in Japan since 2015 December to study 2 years master degree program. My college allowed me to bring my family(wife), I get almost information to apply family visa but I don`t know how much money required in my account ? Could you suggest me how much minimum amount require to apply dependent visa ?
    I hope you will response me very soon.
    Thank you

Comment pages: « 15 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15]

Post a comment